Monday, March 2, 2009

Speech Therapy...Round One

So on Monday we had our very first speech therapy session. Overall, it went well. I filled the therapist and her student in on all kinds of information while they just played with Gavin. He loved the attention and was very attentive to all they were teaching and saying to him. As of now, she left us with a few signs to start working on with him. She also said we need to "up the level of frustration"...basically let him get frustrated b/c grunting and pointing can't always get him what he wants. She commented MULTIPLE times on his compensatory knowledge (i think that is the term she used)-which basically referred to how well he did communicate without speaking. He will take multiple steps to show you what he wants. She said he was very smart with what he wants and understands everything and that she feels he's "right there." So hopefully "there" comes soon.

She also commented on some other things like his drooling - this may or may not be an issue. I think it is teeth and she said it could be related to muscle control in the mouth or lack thereof. Also, he turns one foot inward, sits on his legs in the W position and walks on his tiptoes. She said after a few weeks of observation she MAY get him a physical and/or occupational therapy evaluation.

So...really, ALOT of info and I was a bit overwhelmed. I do feel like we are doing the right thing for Gavin but it is hard not to struggle a little bit with it. I found myself at times being defensive of my parenting skills and at other times doubting them...I guess that is normal. Its hard to see your baby "behind" in anything and hearing about things that could be wrong, evoke a whole lot of emotions in a parent. Regardless, I am just trying to remember that God has a plan and He made Gavin perfectly in His image.

2 comments:

Amanda A said...

I am glad the first appointment went well. Hang in there, you are doing the best thing for Gavin! I am sure with this little push he will come around.

Amanda A said...
This comment has been removed by the author.