Monday, February 23, 2009

Bring It On!

So today has been all over the board. I have been frustrated with trying to get Gavin in some sort of speech therapy program--it seems so hard to get it scheduled, figure out the cost and find someone that can navigate between those lines.

Today I finally called Early Intervention the state program because I hadn't heard anything back from them and it has been over a week. She said she'd start working on getting him a placement but there is a waiting list and it could take up to 6 months!! Can you believe that 6 months? I was sad and frustrated and determined to do some research for another option.

This afternoon I searched online for a speech therapist in my network. Low and behold, there is a woman, in Mokena so I called. She just happened to have a woman cancel THIS morning for a once a week session and she is also an Early Intervention provider.

So...from this morning thinking it could be months until Gavin gets a start on this therapy stuff...things quickly changed and he now starts MONDAY! Can you believe that? From 6 months to 6 days.

I am so excited, even though I found out our insurance covers nothing, we are able to go through Early Intervention still which is state funded and the cost to us is far less than going privately. They will come to my house on Mondays for awhile and then it will change this spring when the grad student helping her leaves...which coincides nicely with when my work day changes as well.

Seriously, God totally planned this out. All these "coincidences" were not just luck...

Oh and one more odd coincidence...she has an 18 month old named Gavin.

Crazy.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

So glad things worked out Jen! That definitely is a God thing. Praying that some progress is made for him. Love to you all.

Lisa Thomson said...

I'm so thrilled that you are able to start on MONDAY! Six months would have been way tooo long to wait. I will be praying for these therapy sessions, Gavin, and of course, you!

Amanda A said...

Wow, that is so cool how that worked out. God is good and I am glad to hear Gavin will be starting soon! Keep us posted on the progress.

Sarah Greenfield said...

that is great news!!