Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Ewww. Gross. Super Gross.

Last week Monday night Gavin got the flu. For the very first time.

Gavin & I had traveled up to Kalamazoo to stay with Ben and Carrie for the night and planned on going to see Lesley and new baby Charley the next day. Well, Moday went fine....happy, playing, healthy...until Monday night...

I went to bed around midnight and for the next hour and half Gavin kept waking up crying and unhappy. At 1:30 I scooped him into bed with me and just a few moments later...he started puking.

He puked. I panicked. Carrie woke up and offered reassurance and a quick tip on "what to expect next"...for the next 6 hours. She brought a bowl and lots of towels.

For the next 7 hours Gavin threw up every 10-30 minutes. It was terrible. We were both covered in puke, wanting to cry ....in someone else's house.

When we had endured until 8 am on this schedule, we went downstairs and started packing our bags....and that's when the diarrhea started. I'll spare you the details...just wow.

We headed home and made it with only one throw up incident in the car. We were exhausted and smelly and sad.

Thankfully it only seemed to last about 24 hours and he had perked up by that night.

However, the traumatic experience of that night for me is not something I will quickly forget. Not only was it so gross and terrible but it made me want to cry watching my little baby endure the throwing up and the dry heaving and the whole yucky mess. The only thing you can do is hold him all night, hold his head over the bowl and rub his back each time....I knew this day would come...I just never expected to feel so sad for my baby when it came.

2 comments:

Lisa Thomson said...

poor gavin! and poor mommy, too. what a bummer way to spend your weekend away. glad it wasn't too long-lived. :(

Amanda A said...

Ugh, I cannot imagine. Not looking forward to the day Jackson gets the flu!! Glad you are all healthy now!