Sunday, February 28, 2010

Naptime...or Playtime?

Gavin is at the age where he often wants to stay up and play instead of going to bed at naptime or bedtime. I get it, I really do...however, I'm the mean mom who puts him to bed anyway. I'm also the mean mom who believes just an hour and half is way too short of time to sleep. This means that he usually starts his nap laughing and talking and when he wakes up...upon calling my name a few times I don't necessarily respond. Who am I kidding, even when he's been up there 2 1/2 hours I usually don't respond. I generally treat his first call out of "maaaaaaamaaaaa" as a 20 minute warning....meaning I have 20 more minutes of whatever I was doing b/f going to get him. I know, mean mom.

So, last week, he woke up, called my name, I looked at the clock and of course gave myself a little more time. It got really quiet up there so I naively thought he was "relaxing" a little more. No, not my kid. Gavin has learned a new a trick--if he stands on his pillow and reaches over the corner of the crib, he can reach the books in his bookcase. So now, when Mom doesn't respond, he just figures he'll do a little light and/or destructive reading of his books in the dark. For the record we'd been suspecting this behavior after often times finding books in his bed but could never be certain if the other parent gave him one or they were hiding under the covers. This confirmed it had been happening...and the other confirmation was when I asked him how he got the books...and he showed me...excitedly and with a smile.

I guess this poses the questions...besides the images in my mind of him toppling out and knocking his head giving him a concussion...how bad do I really want that extra twenty minutes?

Upon opening the door, Gavin quickly showed me with a very proud smile, how he had empty all these little envelopes we had in one book. Very proud of his accomplishment.

And very proud of how he had shredded them all over the floor.

Scene of the crime....see how one corner of the bookcase is noticeably empty?
After a few minutes, he realized this was awesome Mom was taking pictures so he offered up a big "cheese."

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Pretty sneaky! Are you ready for the big boy bed? Yikes. :) Talk about losing any extra time. It totally stinks, and I wish I could go back to the crib. :(

Lisa Thomson said...

OMG! Hilarious. Crazy that you are nearing big boy bed time...!?!?!

Amanda A said...

I love this!