Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Turning 3....

Dear Gavin,

I canNOT believe you are 3 years old. I have such a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that you've been in my life three years already, yet, simultaneously believing that you've ONLY been here three years.

At three years old, you are so full of energy! You love running, jumping and doing any sort of physical activity. You love to be chased, play hide and seek, play on your new swingset, play baseball & soccer. At the same time, you love the ritual of settling in to read books at night and cuddling with mom and/or dad in our bed in the mornings.

You know a handful of colors and can point them out easily. Your understanding of the world is growing by leaps and bounds and although you have a hard time communicating it to us, I can always see the gears in your mind working full speed. Obviously, your speech isn't where a typical 3 year old's would be but your speech is continually growing. You use lots of words (albeit the articulation isn't right) and have become much more comfortable repeating words and sounds. You have lots to say and have gotten to the point where you'll "talk" whether we understand or not. I know that you usually "get it" and understand FAR more than we realize. You really are a smart kid.

You love the people that love you. Everyday you want to see your friends "Lo, Jack, baby Ella" etc. You get excited to see "Ama Oodie and Papa Nom", you love to see your uncles, aunts and cousins and recently have loved to Skype with Grandma and Grandpa Harris.

You are still a rock solid eater. Although you definitely have preferences you'll pretty much eat anything but especially love bagels, yogurt, cheese, macaroni and cheese, pb&j, chips, cookies and nutrigrain bars. You are also a great sleeper taking a 2-3 hour nap each day and in bed by 8 pm until 7 am. You never put up a fuss going to bed and still sleep with your paci (boo addy, as you call it) and your blankie.

You love to "help" around the house. You like to help me take care of Sydney and help Dad work on anything. I can always get your attention by asking you to help me. You love your baby sister and hearing the two of you making each other giggle is the sweetest sound. You talk to her in the car and hold her hand...you try to make her smile when she's sad. You love surprising her in the morning in her crib and the two of you both squeal with delight. However, you are still learning boundaries and right now, the time outs you receive the most are for pushing, hitting or sitting on your sister. You love her but you antagonize her.

You love Daddy. Daddy often tells you how many days he'll be home or how many days until he comes home and you'll repeat that day after day.."two days" etc. You want to walk like him, dress like him, eat like him, stand like him and be with him all the time.

At 3, I can see how much you are changing and becoming your own little person with a sense of humor and perspective that makes me smile. You and I love being together and the prospect of you starting school scared me more than you know. You always have been my little buddy and I truly LOVE having you around. Even though you are hard to understand and can't always get the words out...I get you. Most of the time I get what you want and get where your little mind is going in situations.

You are a child that has caused me more tears...good and bad...than I ever thought possible. All of your firsts, have been my firsts and that is a part of our relationship I will always cherish. I love to watch you grow. I love to watch you interact with the world around you. I love that God gave you to us.

Happy Birthday Gavin. Love, Mommy

2 comments:

Lisa Thomson said...

What a great letter! We've loved having Gavin a part of our lives and watching him grow into his own little person has been so fun. Seeing the friendship and bond he and Lo have formed is precious!

Megs said...

aw Jen. So nice. It will be great to read these back when he is older!