Thursday, December 16, 2010

Bye Bye 'Boo Addy'

After talking about it and thinking about it for a LONG time....we thought it was finally time to pull the trigger and get rid of Gavin's pacifier. He is the king of the "paci." He loves his paci and affectionately calls it his "boo addy." We started this the week of Thanksgiving and it went HORRIBLE. Playing obnoxiously for up to an hour and a half at bed and/or nap time. Not being able to fall asleep or calm down. Then at nap time sleeping for no more than an hour. Waking multiple times at night. Now, in the first few days, there were a few tears and some pleading for the boo addy but those soon subsided as we told him he was a big boy and now that he goes to school, the teacher said no more pacis. He would state matter of fact, "me, big boy, teacha no boo addy." We bought him "lovey replacements"---a stuffed animal, an extra blankie, nothing soothed like the paci.

So, after weeks of minimal nap time sleep and heightened daytime crabbiness as a result, I gave in. What!?!?!? I NEVER give in. I let my kids "cry it out." I let them "work it out." I let them "deal." Except this time. I couldn't do it. I couldn't let him give up his beautiful and wonderful naps that cause him (and mommy) to be better rested. Not to mention we needed good naps with the holidays coming up and a vacation where both kids would be attempting to nap at the same time--in the same room. So, he has his paci--at naps only.

I'll try again in January or February...but I've also come to terms that I may be "that" mom. I'll be judged and critcized because at 5 years old my kids still might be taking a nap with a pacifier. To that I say....judge away.

For now....we happily sleep.

4 comments:

Lisa Thomson said...

you gotta do what you gotta do! you can never underestimate the power of a well-slept child and a well-rested mommy. :O)

Carrie said...

ha.ha. this is me in 2 more years..

Amanda A said...

We all do things our own way, so who cares what others say when it works for you! (I know, easier said than done. But it is true!)

Lesley said...

would have been me too, except I left for the weekend and my mom decided she would take away grant's paci. there were no more naps after that. feel your pain.