Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Adjusting

We are just over 2 weeks into this family of four thing and it has been quite an ajdustment so far...

Sydney - So she is chalking up to be a super good baby. I'm shocked and amazed and am constantly asking my Mom if this is normal that she sleeps so much and is so content and only needs to eat every 3 hours. In fact, many days I have to physically wake her to eat so we don't pass the 3 hour mark. She is super sleepy and when she's awake, most of the time she is pretty content. At night she goes every three hours but already has given me many 4 hour stretches! I almost hate to document this in fear of jinxing it! We call her the "anti-Gavin" because she is everything Gavin was not as a newborn...quiet, content, cuddly and generally peaceful. It is like nothing I could have imagined. Because of that, I have been LOVING her snuggles and have been taking advantage of how easily she nestles in for a snooze.

Gavin - Challenging is an understatment. Gavin has been showering us with tantrums, crying and misbehavior at any opportunity. He's been difficult. I think it is a variety of things...1)Obviously adjustment to the new baby and not knowing how to deal with the new changes at home 2)Having a hard time with that adjustment but getting very frustrated at his lack of ability to verbalize it 3)I think he is cutting his 2 year molars 4)Because of that or a cold, he's been snotty and stuffy lately 5)His routine for about a week and a half btwn hospital time and Chad being home for awhile was WAY off schedule and lastly 6) he's two. So we've tried many routes of discipline lately some which work and some that don't. He doesn't show a ton of interest in the baby but on occasion will want to show her something or talk to her. He is definitely more difficult than her right now but even among all the tantrums and issues, he's still my little buddy and we just have to work through it.

Me - Hmm...this is been an interesting couple of weeks. I have been sore, emotional and exhausted. The soreness is easing up and I'm feeling better about actually being able to move around more and not be so physically limited. The emotions are leveling out--they weren't as crazy up and down as Gavin this time. The exhaustion is pretty ever present. I have concerns and struggles about being "cooped up" in the house all day and wonder how I will ever get out with two kids. I am currently wondering when and how I'm going to get to the grocery store because it physically cannot happen with the two of them. I love to be on the go so I need to reshift my focus and find a way to manage my new situation. However, I am amazed at how much I love my kids...equally and differently. It is different but I am so in love with my kids, its crazy.

So that's where we're at right now....in two weeks I'm sure it will still be changing...in good ways I hope. :)

3 comments:

Lisa Thomson said...

So happy that Sydney is such a good baby! Hang in there with Gavin...it can only get better, right?!?! And I promise to be your "get-out-of-the-house buddy" whenever you need it. We'll be pros at creatively finding things we can do in and around the area. Praying for you!

Lesley said...

Gotta love the second child...so different from the first, in whatever way that may be. So glad she is so content for you. It makes such a different when you are dealing with a two year old! Post more pictures so I don't miss out on her changing ever single minute. Hope to meet her sometime soon! Love to you all!

Amanda A said...

She is such a doll, and I am so happy that she is a good girl! Gavin will come around, and I think he has some already, right? I think you are doing a great job! I keep wondering how in the world I am going to get out of the house with 2 kiddos when this baby comes, but then I see you doing it and it makes me feel so much better! Seriously, you are helping calm my nerves and probably don't even know it. :) Anytime you want to hang, I am game... especially this winter!