Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Discouraged

Recently we had Gavin's OT reevaluation, PT reevaluation and speech reevaluation. Today we had a meeting to go over the reports and discuss what was recommended for him.

Unfortunately, both OT and PT recommended he have therapy one day a week. Obviously, that is crushing news to me. In talking with all three therapists, they feel that truthfully he doesn't need therapy 3 days a week but really, none of them are going to claim another area is more important than their own. So ...that leaves me making a decision about what to do when I feel like I'm not that knowlegdeable on what type of therapy is going to help him the best. Also, I don't WANT Gavin to be in therapy 3 times a week...I want us to have fun and have days free to play and enjoy him.

So, I'm in a difficult spot. I have a baby coming in November. I want to soak up as much time with just Gavin as I can which means not having my life run by therapy. I also see a happy little boy who isn't even two yet....I mean can he really need that much therapy at this age? He is well-adjusted, strong and healthy. I don't get it. However, if by doing therapy 3 times a week, will I have him to a point where he is going to be so much better that by baby-time in November, it will be easy to drop one or two therapy sessions? I don't know.

Here is the report recap: in both OT and PT he did not test a delay, however, they want the therapy b/c although he is accomplishing the tasks he should be at his age, he is doing them in an atypical manner. He falls ALOT...more than the average 21 month child. On the PT side, he pushes his chest out, locking his arms back when he walks creating a barrel-chest. He doesn't play with two hands often, preferring to lock the other one not being used as a stabilizer. He stabilizes his body in atypical ways. The PT thinks he has the strength he needs but is creating bad habits that need to be eliminated....all in hopes of aligning his body so he'll be able to communicate and speak easier. OT claims he does not have any sensory PROBLEMS...but by helping with some sensory issues, it may help him develop his speech more. For example, he does not stay focused on a task for long and often communicates more when engaged in active play. She will help stimulate him where he can concentrate longer and stay focused on tasks longer so he'll benefit more from his speech treatments. She also wants to work on the sensory response he may be having of toe walking (which he still does), core strengthening and other muscle strenthening.

I don't know. I try to follow it all as best as I can. I'm disappointed and discouraged and maybe I'm feeling bad for myself. I know what a blessing and a sweet little boy we have in Gavin. I have to remember that and remember that he was perfectly made.

3 comments:

Lisa Thomson said...

Oh, Jen! I'm breathing a sigh of "oh, this stinks" with you. I can understand why you feel torn and will be praying that you can make a decision that feels best for you and Mr. Gavin. :(

Lesley said...

Oh Jen, I can see why you are a bit discouraged. I will be praying for guidance and comfort for you! Love ya!

Amanda A said...

Such a hard situation! Sorry that you have to go through it, but I know you will do what is best for Gavin and your family. Praying for you guys!