Sunday, June 27, 2010

Big Boy Bed

Last week when Carrie came we were preparing for the sleeping arrangements and long story short, we had to move the crib out of the room for Gavin. Rather than have him sleep in the crib in our room, we thought this would be a good opportunity to FINALLY try out the big boy bed.

So...we talked it up....we got tucked in...we read books...we gave the disclaimer he was not to get out of bed only to call mommy and daddy if he needed us...we gave kisses and turned out the light. Then, we did what all parents in this day and age do - we watched on the video monitor. We watched him sit up...start talking...stand up....sit down...play. Hmmm. After about 15 minutes, I went in, re-tucked, re-kissed and left again.

He went to sleep. He stayed there until 7 am (with a minor interruption at 3 am where I heard him crying only to see him the complete wrong way in his bed to which we turned him around and re-tucked) when he sat up in bed yelling for Mommy and Daddy. Not unlike his crib...whew.

He was SO. CUTE. Since then, he's slept in his crib some nights and bed some nights. It isn't that he can't do it or can't handle it....I have to admit, the ONLY reason I don't want him switched is for nap time. As I've mentioned in a previous post, I treat the first "Mommy!" upon waking from a nap as a 20 minute warning. Now if he woke up and could just get out of bed, I wouldn't get that 20 minutes anymore would I? I really, really, don't want to lose that 20 minutes. :) But as he approaches 3 (yikes!) we'll see....it's all just one step closer to losing my baby.






2 comments:

Lisa Thomson said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Can't believe you have a kid in a big boy bed. So glad it went well, too! He's adorable under those covers.

Amanda A said...

Woah, can't even believe Gavin will be 3 soon!! Cute pics in the big boy bed... thinking we are heading there sooner than later too. I love the playing and getting all turned around in the bed! Hilarious.